Enjoy two stimulating weeks in a country committed to building Socialism. Learn about Cuba’s public goods such as free health care and education provided by the state, its collective production and services in agricultural and urban cooperatives, its form of democratic governance, its private businesses, its community projects and more. Experience Cuba’s vibrant culture and people. Dialogue with leading thinkers about Cuba’s reforms as it reinvents its socialism for the 21st century. A unique, in-depth look at a changing society. Look at the preliminary schedule here
Talk with Cuban thinkers: Discussion will focus on The Future of Socialism, both in Cuba and worldwide. You are invited to present a paper (optional) on such topics as:
- US: collapse of liberal democracy; decline of neoliberal ideology; crisis of legitimacy; resurgence of the idea of socialism;rise of the Right; fascism?; globalized state; overcoming capitalist hegemony; systemic crisis and the interregnum
- Rethinking socialism in 21st century; critique of 20th century socialism; civil society; party; commons;
- Cuba’s renovation of socialism: implementation of the Guidelines; direction of development; conceptualization of socialism; planning and market; petty bourgeoisie and wage labor; socialist hegemony in a mixed economy; political system; rejuvenation of civil society; cooperatives;
- Latin America: Has the Pink Tide run its course?
- Looking back at our revolutionary heritage: How does 1917 look a century later? 1848 170 years later? 1949 69 years later? 1959 59 years later? The socialist project 200 years after Marx’s birth?
Join our delegation of activists, scholars and cooperativistas as we explore this exciting society in motion. While many people are now able to visit Cuba more freely, few groups are able to offer such an in-depth experience focused on Cuba’s efforts to build socialism. Drawing on our 25 years experience with educational trips to Cuba, we have unique access that goes beyond the usual tourist attractions.
It is estimated that the basic 14-day trip will cost $2,500 plus airfare, including shared hotel room, breakfasts, lunches, translation, guide, and the program of activities. With regular commercial air service now open from many U.S. cities, it is possible to fly directly to Havana. Deadline for applications is March 15, 2018. Apply now as space is limited.
For an application form and further information email email@example.com